Gender and Women
Supporting the Rights of all Genders
NGEC has a responsibility of mainstreaming issues of gender and women in National and County policies, laws and administrative rules as well as private and public sector. Gender mainstreaming is one of the core functions of NGEC and entails ensuring that the concerns of women and men form an integral dimension of the design of all policies, laws and administrative procedures, in all political, economic and societal spheres so as to ensure that they benefit equally. This is guided by development of gender sensitive standards and indicators, guidelines, tools and facilitating integration of gender equality and freedom from discrimination principles.
NGEC works with stakeholders to promote progressive realization of the Constitutional rights of both genders
- Monitor gender indicators through performance contracting
- Gender Based Violence(GBV)- We have cordinate the National Gender Based Violence working group and have developed an online forum that provides all the information
- Climate Change
- Gender responsive budgeting (GRB)
"" A state that does not educate and train women is like a man who only trains his right arm.” ~Jostein Gaarder
- Gender Based Violence: NGEC coordinates the National GBV working group that consists of state and non-state actors on a monthly basis. On behalf of the GBV working group, the department is steering the 3 year ‘Keeping the promise to end GBV campaign’ in Kenya.
- Gender Responsive Budgeting: NGEC has developed National and County level GRB guidelines to ensure inclusion of gender considerations in the budget making process.
- Climate Change: NGEC is the secretariat of the Africa working group on gender and Climate change. Through this mechanism, NGEC influences decisions on climate change both Nationally, Regionally, and internationally through participation at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.